To me, inclusive education does not just mean that the differences amongst people are accepted in the classroom, but rather, are valued. To me, inclusive education does not align with the modern-day “inclusivity practice” where it is common to categorize people based on their race, gender identity, social status., but rather, it looks at each student as an individual with their own potential (discovered or undiscovered) to bring to and uplift the collective. Although gender, race, and sexual orientation may be components of one’s identity, these are only three components amongst an infinite set of contributing factors that make up an individual.

During my practicum, I made a strong effort to call students by their preferred names (several students change their names, some more than once), I related on a personal level with students with anaphylactic allergies, I adapted my methods of assessment to potentiate different strengths, I strategically had students with different strengths and weaknesses work together in performance projects and in science labs, I helped students to develop skills working in groups where different students could develop roles within the collaborations that fit their strengths (i.e., leadership, scribe, reporting, etc.), I differentiated my instruction to fit different needs, and I provided students with multiple options/formats of communication with me. In my classroom, inclusive education required that a classroom community was developed through the cultivation of relationships. Without getting to know the students or allowing the students the chance to know me, it would have been rather difficult to discern how the different pieces (people) would fit together (the class). Keeping an open mind and using the First Peoples Principle that learning takes patience and time, I was able form inclusive environments that allowed all kinds of students to take risks in their learning.

Upon leaving practicum, I received around 55 notes from my science 9 classes. The student feedback in the note below helps exemplify the effort I made to include all students in my teaching.